Same Sex Relationships

Same sex couples are able to enter into financial agreements in similar terms to opposite sex de facto couples, under the provisions of the Family Law Act. Similarly in the absence of a financial agreement, on the breakdown of a same sex de facto relationship, the same legal technical methodology is applied to determine a financial settlement as in marriage cases.

There is no restriction on same sex couples starting their own families, whether it be a lesbian couple accessing in vitro fertilisation treatment, donor insemination at a clinic, or using a home procedure for donor insemination. However, in New South Wales same sex couples cannot adopt a child as a couple, but individual gay and lesbian people can adopt children. Otherwise there is no restriction on gay and lesbian couples becoming foster parents. 

As to surrogacy agreements in NSW, the Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2007 prohibits commercial surrogacy agreements (section 43) and also provides that a surrogacy agreement is void (section 45). This law also applies to same sex couples.

The family unit can take different forms depending upon the social and cultural background of the parties involved. For instance, within some cultures, including Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island or Maori cultures, a traditional form of adoption exists whereby a new- born child may be surrendered to the care of aunts or uncles or other relatives. Within the gay and lesbian community it is not uncommon for lesbian couples to have children through assisted reproductive technology or gay male couples to have children through informal surrogacy arrangements.  Co-parenting arrangements also exist where, for instance, a lesbian couple may co-parent a child with either a single male, or a gay male couple. How the arrangements work is often sorted out between the parties themselves, however it is recommended that prior to any co-parenting arrangements being entered into, the parties seek independent legal advice and perhaps pursue counselling.

When a same sex couple considers starting a family, it is recommended they seek independent legal advice on the status of each party as legal parent, and how parental responsibility is to be shared.

Currently same sex marriage is unavailable in Australia. It is available in Canada, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, South Africa, Argentina and Mexico. It is also available in a few states in the United States of America.

In 2003 the Marriage Act was amended to introduce a definition of the word “marriage”. The definition restricts “marriage” to a union between a man and woman only. In addition, a new provision was added to the Marriage Act which expressly does not recognise overseas same sex marriages. This creates a curious state of affairs for same sex couples resident in Australia who married overseas. If their marriage relationship breaks down they would not be able to obtain a divorce in Australia since the marriage is not recognised in this country in the first place.  It would seem that in such a case they would need to seek a divorce in the country where they were married in the first place, provided that divorce for same sex couples is available in the jurisdiction where they married, and that they otherwise fulfil the jurisdictional of requirements before being able to obtain a divorce in that country.

For assistance with Family Law matters, phone Dominic Wilson, Managing Partner of Craddock Murray Neumann, on (02) 82684000. Our senior Family Lawyer is certified by the Law Society of New South Wales as an Accredited Specialist in Family Law.
Further information
Contact Craddock Murray Neumann Lawyers on (02) 8268 4000 for friendly professional service.
Sole occupation of the family home after separation
Date: Sep 01, 2015

It is not uncommon in family law disputes for one party to seek that he/she remain living in the family home, to the exclusion of the other party, while the parties negotiate property settlement.

Stamp Duty Exemption on a Property Transfer
Date: Jan 26, 2012

Parties may also be entitled to a stamp duty exemption if the Court makes Orders requiring a transfer of property.

Inheritances and Gifts in Family Law, how are they treated?
Date: Nov 01, 2011

Consider this example: John and Jill have been married for 10 years and have recently separated. Around 2 years ago Jill’s father died and Jill received an inheritance of $100,000. These monies were deposited into a joint bank account and have been used by the parties to assist in the purchase of a property. Now that the relationship has broken down what becomes of Jill’s inheritance?

Family Dispute Resolution
Date: Oct 11, 2011

If you are in dispute with your partner regarding the care arrangements for your child you are required, by law to engage in what is called Alternative Dispute Resolution.

Do I need a pre-nup?
Date: Oct 06, 2011

In Australia couples who are considering living together, as a de facto couple (whether same sex or heterosexual) or are considering marriage have the option of entering into an agreement to protect their assets in the event they separate. This agreement can protect not only assets in existence now, but also assets the parties purchase throughout the relationship.

How does a judge assess credibility
Date: Mar 28, 2011

A small minority of family law cases require a decision from the Court, whether it involves parenting or financial issues. Where there is a different version of facts given by each party, one of the tasks of the Judge hearing the case is to make findings of fact. In other words, which version of events does the Judge believe to be the correct version.

Back to Service List