Immigration Newsletter

Our Employer and Business Migration Visa Services

Our team of immigration law specialists help qualified overseas workers build a sustainable career or business in Australia. We oversee work visa applications for employers, skilled workers and entrepreneurs across a range of industries. From engineers to entertainers, religious workers to distinguished talents, we have the expertise required to support your business and personal immigration needs.

Our services include:

  • Facilitating entry and residence in regional and metropolitan areas of Australia 
  • Working with employers to procure the right talent for a particular job
  • Ensuring workers and employees are compliant with business sponsorship obligations
  • Legal advice and representation for matters relating to business and work visas
  • Assistance with state/territory nomination applications and skills assessment applications

Australia’s migration program aims to improve the productive capacity of the economy and fill skills shortages in the labour market. The country welcomes resourceful migrants from all over the world who wish to improve their own quality of life while uplifting Australian communities.

Short Term Temporary Work Visas

Individuals with highly specialised skills and talents can apply for a temporary work visa, allowing them to work and live in Australia for a limited time. There are several short-term work visas that cater to different circumstances:

Temporary Work Visa (Short Stay Specialist) – Subclass 400

  • Candidates with specialist skills or knowledge can work and live in the country for up to 6 months.
  • Visa holders can only do the work specified in their employment visa application during their stay.

Temporary Activity Visa – Subclass 408

  • If an event or program takes place in Australia, skilled participants from outside the country can complete a temporary work application (visa subclass 408).
  • The visa is valid from 3 months to 4 years, depending on the circumstances.
  • This visa caters to those on the skilled occupations list that can work for: 
    • Australian government events
    • Special programs
    • Religious institutions
    • Sports/ cultural events
    • Yachting companies
    • Exchange programs
    • Domestic employers

Long-Term Temporary Work Visas

The long-term temporary work visas enable candidates to live and work in Australia for a set amount of time. The eligibility requirements include being a skilled worker, graduate, or qualifying family member. The visas last a maximum of 5 years, unless you have undergone the necessary procedures to become a permanent resident

Temporary Skill Shortage Visa – Subclass 482

  • The Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482), or “TSS visa”, is a work visa that enables Australian employers to source skilled workers outside of the country when needed.
  • The sponsored workers can remain in Australia for up to 2 years, 4 years or 5 years, depending on the terms of their visa and passport type.

Skilled Work Regional Visa – Subclass 491

  • The skilled regional visa enables workers chosen by the state or tertiary government to live and work in Australia.
  • There are two types of subclass 491 visas:
    •  The main applicant visa for someone who will be working in Australia
    •  The subsequent entrant visa for the family members of subclass 491 visa holders
    • Individuals who adhere to the 491 visa conditions for 3 years may qualify for permanent residency.

Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Visa – Subclass 494

  • The 494 visa option enables regional employers to address skill shortages within their areas by sponsoring skilled workers outside of Australia.
  • If the individual adheres to 494 visa requirements, they may work in Australia for up to 5 years.
  • There are three different streams for this visa: 
    • The employer sponsored stream for people who live and work in Australia
    • The labour agreement stream for those working for companies endorsed by the government
    • The subsequent entrant stream for family members of 494 visa holders

Temporary Graduate Visa – Subclass 485

  • The 485 visa allows international students to live, study and work in Australia for up to 5 years (depending on visa terms) after they have finished their studies.
  • The three subclass 485 visa streams include the:
    • Graduate work stream for recent graduates who have valuable skills for the Australian workforce
    • Post-study work stream for individuals who graduated at an Australian institution
    • Second post-study work stream for individuals who graduated at Australian institutions specifically located in regional areas

Training Visas

Training visas allow people to enter Australia for job training or professional development. The requirements for these visas may vary, depending on the level of training at hand.

Training Visa – Subclass 407

  • This temporary 407 training visa must be sponsored by an employer and allows the participant to stay in Australia for up to 2 years.
  • If your 407 visa application is successful, your family members may apply to join you in Australia later as a subsequent entrant.


Retirement Visas

Retirement visas cater to individuals who wish to retire in Australia and pass the Balance of Family test. These visa holders can choose to work and study in Australia, as well as receive government benefits.

*Please note that parent visas (subclass 143 and 103) have replaced the old retirement visas (subclass 405 and 410). The investor retirement visa (subclass 405) and retirement visa (subclass 410) are indefinitely closed by the Australian government.

Parent Visa – Subclass 103

  • The 103 visa allows the parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to permanently move to Australia.
  • The parents can enrol in Australia’s healthcare scheme, as well as work and study in the country.

Contributory Parent Visa – Subclass 143

  • The parent visa 143 allows the parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to move to Australia.
  • This visa is typically processed faster than the parent visa subclass 103, however, it costs more.

Global Talent Visa

Global talent visas enable acclaimed individuals in the world of sport, art, culture, academia, or research to permanently move to Australia. 

*Please note that on 27 February 2021, the Distinguished Talent Visa 858 became the Global Talent Visa 858.

Global Talent Visa – Subclass 858

  • The 858 visa is a specialised visa for people who have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in an eligible field.
  • There is the option to include a parent or members of the family unit in the visa application.
  • You become a permanent resident as soon as your visa is approved.

Permanent Employer Sponsored Visas

Permanent employer sponsored visas enable skilled workers to move to Australia indefinitely. The visa applicants must be nominated by a registered Australian employer and meet both health and character requirements. 

Employer Nomination Scheme Visa – Subclass 186

  • The subclass 186 visa allows workers chosen through the Employee Nomination Scheme to permanently stay in Australia.
  • There are three streams for this visa subclass including:  
  • The direct entry stream made up of workers competent in English and nominated by employers
  • The labour agreement stream for workers of a business with a labour agreement
  • The temporary residence transition stream for holders of 457, TSS or related bridging visas. You must have at least 3 years of full-time work experience in Australia

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa – Subclass 187

  • The Australian 187 visa allows skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer in regional Australia, to live and work in the country permanently.
  • There are two streams for visa subclass 187:
    • The direct entry stream for applicants who don’t have an existing visa
    • The temporary residence transition stream for visa applicants transitioning from a subclass 457 or 482 visa after working full-time in Australia for at least 3 years

Permanent Skilled Independent Visas

Skilled Independent visas gives permanent residency to skilled individuals who are not sponsored by an employer. The visa does not require sponsorship by a company, family member or state in Australia. The main qualifying factor is the applicant’s certifications and experience.

Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189

  • The main 189 visa requirements are holding the relevant passport or citizenship, and offering valuable skills as an independent worker.
  • There are three streams for visa 189:
    • The points tested stream for skilled workers under 45
    • The New Zealand stream for skilled workers with the relevant passport or citizenship requirements
    • The Hong Kong stream for skilled workers with the relevant passport or citizenship requirements

Skilled Nominated Visa – Subclass 190

  • The subclass 190 skilled nominated visa enables skilled workers and their families to permanently reside in Australia if they have been nominated by the state or tertiary government.
  • 190 visa holders can live and work in Australia, as well as become Australian citizens if eligible.

Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa – Subclass 191

  • The permanent residence visa for Australia allows successful applicants who meet certain income requirements to live in Australia indefinitely.
  • There are two 191 visa streams including:
    • The regional provisional stream for people working in designated regions of Australia
    • The Hong Kong stream for eligible Hong Kong or British National (overseas) passport holders

Contact us now for a confidential initial consultation