Specialist Entry Visas

Help with applying for a visa: Contact us on (02) 8268 4000 for expert advice, preferably well ahead of the expiry of any current visa.

An Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law (as certified by the Law Society of New South Wales) leads our team of migration lawyers and agents.

Craddock Murray Neumann is a law firm, which can also assist with applications to the Migration Review Tribunal and the Federal Court if a visa application is unsuccessful. (Migration agents who are not lawyers cannot assist with applications to the Federal Court).

Australia has a number of distinct visas that can be used by people in particular occupations to travel to Australia.

Distinguished Talent (Subclass 124 / Subclass 858) visa

A permanent residence visa that is granted to people who:

  • have an exceptional record of achievement in their field of practice that is recognised throughout the world; and
  • are nominated by a prominent Australian in their field of practice (e.g. if you are a world-renowned scientist, you must be nominated by a prominent scientist in Australia.

Other specialist entry visas

With each of the following visas, the applicant must be nominated by an approved sponsor andprove that they have the necessary skills and experience to carry out the duties of the position they will take up in Australia, and that they pass the health and character requirements.

Exchange (Subclass 411) visa

This is a temporary visa that can be valid for up to two years. It is designed to enhance the visa holder’s skills and experience while enhancing international relations. 

Domestic Worker (Subclass 426/427) visa

These are temporary residence visas that are granted to people who will perform domestic work in Australia for a person who holds a Diplomatic visa or an approved Domestic Worker sponsor.

It is quite difficult to get approval as Domestic Worker sponsor. For example, you have to undertake labour market testing to prove that you have been unable to secure the services of an Australian domestic worker before you can be approved as a sponsor.

Entertainment (subclass 420) visa

This is a temporary visa that can be valid for up to two years. It is designed to permit people in the entertainment industry work in Australia on pre-arranged projects, such as films, television programs etc.

With this visa it is necessary to show that the visa applicant’s presence in Australia will have a positive impact on the entertainment industry here. Evidence of the precise dates on which the person will be required to perform or work may also need to be provided.

Sport (Subclass 421) visa

This is a temporary visa that can be valid for up to two years. It enables sports people, including coaches and support staff, and including judges and officials, to be in Australia for the purpose of participating in sporting events, training, or other activities related to sport. This visa is only available to people who have an 'established reputation' in their field of sport. It would be difficult for a new-comer to a sport to be granted this visa.

Media and Film Staff (Subclass 423) visa

This is a visa that enables people to work in Australia as journalists or documentary makers. In the case of journalists, if the organisation for whom they will work in Australia are already represented in Australia, the organisation must demonstrate that there is no-one else in Australia who could do this work; this requirement is not imposed if the organisation is not represented in Australia.

Religious worker (Subclass 428) visa

This is a temporary visa that can be valid for up to two years. It enables the visa holder to take up a full-time position in which they will duties must directly serve an institution’s religious objectives. A Minister or other significant office holder in a religious organisation may qualify for this visa; a member of the congregation without a significant role to play in the organisation may not.

Visiting Academic (Subclass 419) visa

This is a visa that enables academics with a “a significant record of achievement” in their area of expertise to travel to Australia for the purpose of observing or participating in research that is being undertaken by an Australian institution. Academics who want to teach in Australia should apply for a subclass 457 visa  - see our Employer Sponsored Visa page.

Warning: this page states the law as at 15.12.11. The law is complex. The law may have changed when you read this page. Contact us to confirm your rights.


Back to Service List