Financial Support

Married couples, and now de facto couples, have a legal obligation under the Family Law Act to provide financial support to one another. If that financial support is not forthcoming, then either party to a marriage or de facto relationship is entitled to apply to a Court for orders that the other party pay maintenance to them. 

Usually, a Court will not make orders for spousal/de facto maintenance unless the parties have separated, or otherwise there is some very good reason why it ought to. 

There are two general requirements in order to succeed in a claim for maintenance. Firstly, the Applicant has to to establish a need. This is done by demonstrating that the Applicant’s income, having regard to their property and whether they are working to their capacity, is exceeded by their reasonable weekly expenses. If for instance a party makes him or herself unemployed, or is not working to capacity, then this can cause problems establishing the need component. 

Secondly, the Applicant must demonstrate that the other party has the capacity to pay maintenance. 

Establishing need and capacity is done through each party preparing a Financial Statement form. A Financial Statement sets out the average weekly income, average weekly expenses, assets, liabilities, financial resources and superannuation of each party.

Apart from filing Financial Statements in Court proceedings, each party then has an obligation to verify their financial circumstances.

A party opposing a spouse/de facto maintenance claim may argue the Applicant has resources at his/her disposal or is not earning to capacity, or that the opposing party does not have the capacity to pay.

The question often arises that if a claim for spousal/de facto maintenance can be established, how will it be paid? A Court can order maintenance to be paid periodically. If it does so, it is most commonly for a fixed period of time to allow a party to retrain and re-establish him/herself in the workforce.  The alternative is for maintenance to be paid by way of a lump sum. This is often tied up with a property settlement whereby a party may receive a greater proportion of the net assets than they would otherwise be entitled to receive.

If a Court decides to order maintenance to be paid on a periodic basis it will calculate the need of the Applicant, and then look to the other party’s capacity. The amount to be paid may be limited to the paying party’s excess income over weekly expenses.

If a Court is contemplating financial support to be paid by way of a lump sum then a number of different approaches can be taken, depending upon what net assets the parties have. One approach might be to quantify the weekly need of the Applicant and then work out what this represents over a period of a few years, and then give that party an additional lump sum out of the net assets in that amount. In the alternative, it may be appropriate to take a general approach and determine that the party in need of support receive an arbitrarily assessed additional percentage of the net assets taking into account their need. 

For assistance with Family Law matters, phone Dominic Wilson, Managing Partner of Craddock Murray Neumann, on (02) 82684000. Our senior Family Lawyer is certified by the Law Society of New South Wales as an Accredited Specialist in Family Law.
Further information
Contact Craddock Murray Neumann Lawyers on (02) 8268 4000 for friendly professional service.
Penniless partner: bankruptcy and family law property disputes
Date: Jun 08, 2015

In certain circumstances in the past, a situation could arise where a spouse facing family law property proceedings would file for bankruptcy or be declared bankrupt (the Bankrupt), with the result of becoming a “penniless partner” of a non-bankrupt spouse (the Spouse), whose claim might then be defeated in the Family Court property settlement proceedings. The only salvation for the Spouse was to apply to the Federal Court for annulment of bankruptcy on the grounds of some abuse of process.

Stamp Duty Exemption on a Property Transfer
Date: Jan 26, 2012

Parties may also be entitled to a stamp duty exemption if the Court makes Orders requiring a transfer of property.

Inheritances and Gifts in Family Law, how are they treated?
Date: Nov 01, 2011

Consider this example: John and Jill have been married for 10 years and have recently separated. Around 2 years ago Jill’s father died and Jill received an inheritance of $100,000. These monies were deposited into a joint bank account and have been used by the parties to assist in the purchase of a property. Now that the relationship has broken down what becomes of Jill’s inheritance?

Family Dispute Resolution
Date: Oct 11, 2011

If you are in dispute with your partner regarding the care arrangements for your child you are required, by law to engage in what is called Alternative Dispute Resolution.

Do I need a pre-nup?
Date: Oct 06, 2011

In Australia couples who are considering living together, as a de facto couple (whether same sex or heterosexual) or are considering marriage have the option of entering into an agreement to protect their assets in the event they separate. This agreement can protect not only assets in existence now, but also assets the parties purchase throughout the relationship.

Date: Jun 11, 2011

How does a judge assess credibility
Date: Mar 28, 2011

A small minority of family law cases require a decision from the Court, whether it involves parenting or financial issues. Where there is a different version of facts given by each party, one of the tasks of the Judge hearing the case is to make findings of fact. In other words, which version of events does the Judge believe to be the correct version.

Financial Support: Spouse/De Facto maintenance
Date: Aug 22, 2010

Married couples, and now de facto couples, have a legal obligation under the Family Law Act to provide financial support to one another. If that financial support is not forthcoming, then either party to a marriage or de facto relationship is entitled to apply to a Court for orders that the other party pay maintenance to them.

Property of the Marriage: What Assets are Available
Date: Nov 15, 2009

Upon the breakdown of a marriage one of the issues that needs to be addressed is a financial settlement. This involves dividing the assets, liabilities and superannuation of the parties whereby each party is allocated their share of the net assets, with the end result that none of the assets and liabilities are held in joint names.

Spouse/De Facto Maintenance: What Will I Receive/Have to pay?
Date: Nov 15, 2009

When considering what amount of spouse/de facto maintenance a party is entitled to receive, or may be required to pay, the starting point is to complete a Financial Statement document as accurately and as truthfully as possible.

Back to Service List