Engineers (recent graduates) Visas

Help with applying for a Skilled or Graduate Visa: Our experienced team of migration solicitors and agents will be able to assist you to find the right visa for you, advise on the recent changes to each visa and its requirements and assist you with your application.

Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)

This visa - up to 18 months – is for engineering graduates of recognised overseas educational institutions. Conditions include the following:

  • this visa has unrestricted work and study rights
  • this visa permits eligible visa holders to apply for an onshore points-tested permanent visa if the visa applicant is able to meet the relevant requirements.

A list of the recognised overseas educational institutions can be found here:

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485)

This is an 18 month temporary visa for students with an Australian qualification resulting from at least two years full-time study completed in the last six months before the application date. This visa entitles those unable to pass the points test to remain in Australia for 18 months to gain the skills and experience required for a permanent or provisional General Skilled Migration visa. For this visa applicants must:

  • have qualifications that are on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) - see:
  • have obtained or in the process of obtaining a positive skills assessment for the 485 visa
  • meet the age, health, character and other requirements.

You must comply with the conditions of this visa to progress to a permanent residence visa or become eligible for the Independent Skilled Visa.

Other criteria also apply.

Other Visa Options for Engineers

Engineers might also be able to apply for other visas. Please refer to our web page “Employer Sponsored Visas” including information on the following visas:

  • Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) that will enable the applicant to work in Australia for a hospital or medical practice, usually for 4 years
  • Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400) that will enable the applicant to undertake a period of highly specialised work for up to three years
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (“ENS”) (Subclass 186) visa.

Please note that the above is only a summary prepared on 20 July 2014. There are additional requirements for each visa that are specific to the position, the occupation and the person’s country of origin. Further the law may have changed when you read this web-page.You should seek legal advice prior to lodging any visa application.

Issues can arise for foreign-trained applicants seeking to have their qualifications recognised in Australia. Call us for advice on your skills assessment and registration.

Craddock Murray Neumann is a law firm that can also assist with applications to the relevant Tribunal and the Federal Court if you are unsuccessful in an application to the Department.

SkillSelect and Expressions of Interest – visa applications based on employment or business skills
Date: Aug 21, 2014

If you want to migrate to Australia based on your employment or business skills, SkillSelect is an on-line system that assists with the process.

Back to Service List