Children & Parenting Arrangements

Children of separating parents face enormous anxieties and adjustments. Their family’s lives will be significantly disrupted, so to minimise the impact, resolving the future parenting arrangements for them ought to be given careful consideration.

The main focus when determining future parenting arrangements for children after separation should be the needs of the children. It is the right of children to have a significant and an ongoing relationship with both of their parents, unless it is contrary to their best interests.

The parents of children both have parental responsibility, meaning that they have the authority and responsibility for making decisions concerning the long term issues about their children. When parents seek a Court Order dealing with parenting arrangements, namely, “a parenting order”, it will usually include an order that their parents have equal shared parental responsibility for their children. In some segments of the community there is a misconception that this equates to some right of each parent to have the children in their care for an equal amount of time.  In family law legislation, there is no mention of any rights of the parents.

There is no legal requirement for separating parents to obtain parenting orders to deal with the arrangements for their children.  Many separating parents are able to work out between themselves what the future arrangements will be for their children, and make those arrangements work. If it is possible for these people to make their informal parenting arrangements work, then there is probably no need for them to formalise those arrangements by way of parenting orders of a Court.

For those separating parents who are having difficulty reaching agreement about the future arrangements for their children, there is a legal requirement to at least attempt to resolve the differences through mediation. The mediation process will involve one of the parents making contact with a mediation service provider. An appointment is made to see this parent, for what is commonly referred to as an “intake interview”. At this intake interview the mediator obtains information about the family and what the issue is all about. The parties will also be assessed for their suitability to participate in mediation. If assessed as suitable, the mediator will then invite the other parent to make an appointment for an intake interview. After the other parent has had an intake interview, then a joint a mediation conference is eventually scheduled.

There is a variety of different mediation service providers available in the community. These include the government funded Family Relationship Centres which provide up to 3 hours free mediation. Alternatively, private mediators also operate and provide a service.

Most parenting mediations occur without lawyers present. However, this is not a set rule, and each matter ought to be carefully assessed to consider whether it would benefit from having the parties’ lawyers present. Such situations which may warrant having lawyers present would include if there is a degree of conflict between the parties whereby they cannot communicate with one another effectively, or where the parties may need to be assisted to concentrate on the important issues.

In some cases “child inclusive” medication is appropriate. This occurs where a child consultant, usually a child and family psychologist, speaks with the children and reports back to the parents on how the child is dealing with the separation. Whether child inclusive mediation is appropriate is a matter that is assessed by mediators who work with child consultants, and may involve situations where there are older children who have specific views, or where there is an issue present which may benefit from the input of a child consultant.

If the mediation process achieves a resolution about parenting arrangements for the children, including who they will live with and the time they will spend with each parent, then the mediator will record in general terms what has been agreed upon. It is then a matter for the parties to follow up and have their lawyers draft parenting orders, to be made by consent, reflecting what has been agreed upon at mediation. 

If mediation fails to resolve the issue concerning future parenting arrangements of the children, or if one party refuses to participate in the mediation process, then the mediator will issue a certificate which will entitle the parties to commence proceedings to ask a Court to determine their parenting arrangements. This is generally an option of last resort. 

Before embarking upon the mediation process to deal with parenting arrangements, it is always recommended that each parent seek independent legal advice from a lawyer experienced in family law. The advice should not only cover the legal/technical aspects, but also the process involved and an assessment of what process will best suit each individual case. 

For assistance with Family Law matters, phone Dominic Wilson, Managing Partner of Craddock Murray Neumann, on (02) 82684000. Our senior Family Lawyer is certified by the Law Society of New South Wales as an Accredited Specialist in Family Law.
Further information
Contact Craddock Murray Neumann Lawyers on (02) 8268 4000 for friendly professional service.
Child Recovery Orders
Date: Jul 22, 2014

When one parent refuses to return a child to the other, an urgent application to ‘recover’ the child can be made to the Family Court.

What happens if your ex-partner disappears to another country with your children?
Date: Jul 14, 2014

If your ex-partner goes on an international holiday with your children and decides not to return, or leaves without your knowledge, you may find yourself having to make a ‘Hague Convention Application’ to obtain orders for your children to come back to Australia.

Stamp Duty Exemption on a Property Transfer
Date: Jan 26, 2012

Parties may also be entitled to a stamp duty exemption if the Court makes Orders requiring a transfer of property.

Family Dispute Resolution
Date: Oct 11, 2011

If you are in dispute with your partner regarding the care arrangements for your child you are required, by law to engage in what is called Alternative Dispute Resolution.

Do I need a pre-nup?
Date: Oct 06, 2011

In Australia couples who are considering living together, as a de facto couple (whether same sex or heterosexual) or are considering marriage have the option of entering into an agreement to protect their assets in the event they separate. This agreement can protect not only assets in existence now, but also assets the parties purchase throughout the relationship.

How does a judge assess credibility
Date: Mar 28, 2011

A small minority of family law cases require a decision from the Court, whether it involves parenting or financial issues. Where there is a different version of facts given by each party, one of the tasks of the Judge hearing the case is to make findings of fact. In other words, which version of events does the Judge believe to be the correct version.

Christmas Arrangements For the Children
Date: Aug 22, 2010

December is not busy just in department stores, it is a hectic time in the Family Law courts. For judges, Federal Magistrates and lawyers, December is the month where much time is spent working out where children will spend their Christmas when their parents cannot work it out. The number of cases with this issue outstanding before the Courts is so high, that the courts usually require Christmas cases to be filed no later than mid November.

Evidence of Minors in a Family Law Matter
Date: Aug 22, 2010

In the 2008 case of Beckett & Horan the issue of permitting a witness under 18 years of age to give evidence in family law proceedings was raised. The proceedings in question concerned both parties seeking parenting orders. An application was made by the mother for a non-relative aged 17 years of age to give evidence. Counsel for the father objected.

Intercountry Adoption Agreement between States and Commonwealth
Date: Aug 22, 2010

A n agreement between the Commonwealth and States and Territories to administer and improve intercountry adoption in Australia exists.

New Child Support Scheme
Date: Aug 22, 2010

The new child support formula is part of the overhaul of the Child Support Scheme implemented a few years ago.

Overseas Travel With Children
Date: Aug 22, 2010

The 2008 case of Dart v Graham dealt with the issue of a father wanting to take his children on an overseas holiday to Bali for his wedding. The mother opposed the children travelling to Bali due to advice issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) warning travellers to Indonesia that the country has risks associated with travelling there.

Protection from Domestic Violence
Date: Aug 22, 2010

Domestic violence is commonly thought of as physical abuse. However, it can also include other conduct such as sexual, emotional or psychological abuse.

Surrogacy Laws in Australia
Date: Aug 22, 2010

With Queensland introducing new surrogacy laws in 2010, altruistic surrogacy has become legal throughout Australia. However, a lack of uniformity with regard to individual State’s legislation means that intended parents can become confused. This is compounded by the impact of Federal laws, particularly immigration laws, on overseas surrogacy and has caused many parents to be held up in foreign countries awaiting immigration papers for their child.

Taking Children From Australia
Date: Aug 22, 2010

Australia has many residents with family ties overseas. It is not surprising, therefore, that taking children overseas can often become an issue between separated parents. If the parents cannot agree upon whether a child can travel overseas with one of the parents, a court will make the decision, and the decision will be based on what is best for the child.

Which Court Do We Go To?
Date: Aug 22, 2010

There are a number of courts which can deal with family law matters, whether parenting and/or financial matters between couples, whether marriage or de facto relationships. Choosing the right court can save time, money or both, and the choice is one which family lawyers have to make all the time for their clients.

Back to Service List