Applying for a working holiday visa

Date: Oct 30, 2012

Many young people may be considering the idea of travelling to another country and work at the same time. Why not come to Australia and be a part of a long tradition of immigrants  who have come here to see the beauty of the country and make a few dollars along the way?

If you are planning on a working holiday, then you will likely be looking to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) but talk to an immigration lawyer to work out the details. The first time you apply for a visa and are successful, you will be entitled to stay in Australia for a year, work for up to six months with any one employer and study for four months.

An immigration lawyer can assist you with any paperwork you are having trouble with. Be clear with yourself about what you want to do in Australia because if you feel that your main priority is to work then it may be more appropriate to apply for a work visa.

You can extend your stay with a second working holiday visa which will entitle you to a second 12-month stint in Australia or you may wish to apply for a different visa all together if you want
to continue travelling some more or feel you want to work here full-time.

Working in Australia, depending on the role, may mean you need a license or permit to do a specific task. Anything alcohol related means that you must have a certificate in the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA), which can be obtained by completing a simple course.

To be eligible for this visa you must be outside Australia when you first apply and not have entered Australia before on a working holiday (417) visa or work/holiday visa (462). Your age is also a factor, as you must be between 18 and 30 when you apply (your age is based on what it is in Australia at the time you lodge your application, whether Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (ADEST).

Health checks are also necessary to ensure that you are not carrying a condition which may endanger the health of people in Australia, and checks may include chest x-rays or tests for HIV and hepatitis.

You do not want to be stung with expensive medical bills if a health problem presents itself, so you should consider health insurance that covers you for the duration of your stay. There may be a reciprocal agreement between Australia and your own country which could give you access to Medicare, but check beforehand.

Working and holidaying in Australia is a great experience and definitely something to consider.