I want to come to Australia to work - what are my options?

Date: Aug 17, 2012


When it comes to working in Australia, there are a number of options that you may be eligible for, depending on you rexperience, skills, qualifications, the industry you work in and how long you intend to stay.

The following are options you may wish to explore in more detail:

Employer sponsored workers - If you work in specific industries and have recognised skills, you may be eligible to be sponsored by an Australian or overseas employer. One of the most popular visas in this category is subclass 457, which allows the sponsored applicant to take up a role nominated by their employer for a period of up to four years. Other visas in this category provide permanent status in Australia.

General Skilled Migration - Unlike employer sponsored workers, applicants in the General Skilled Migration visa class are not linked to particular workplaces. Instead, they must demonstrate that they have the necessary skills in particular occupations to be eligible for this visa. The new SkillSelect system requires some potential applicants to first lodge an Expression of Interest online. This involves submitting the relevant details so they can be considered against a range of visas, including permanent and temporary skilled migration visas. In some cases, a visa application is possible only after the applicant has received an invitation to lodge an application. Some other skilled visas require nomination by a State/Territory government or sponsorship by a relative living in a designated area.

Business visas - Certain visa classes exist to allow people to come to Australia for business-related matters. These can include travelling to Australia to carry out business, as well as investment, or the management or development of a new or an existing business.

Working holidays - Australia has reciprocal Working Holiday and Work and Holiday arrangements with several countries. Applicants need to be aged 30 or under and in some cases, may be asked to provide evidence of current or recent post-secondary studies. The exact requirements will depend on the citizenship of the applicant.

Whether you're an employer or an employee, there are certain criteria that need to be met before any kind of work visa can be approved.

This is set out by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and can change from time to time, so it is important to prepare your application with care.

If you are thinking about applying for a skilled migration visa or an employer sponsored skilled visa, you may wish to discuss your options with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Skilled migration lawyers can not only help you prepare your application, but also advise on your likelihood of being approved for a visa before you apply, which could give additional peace of mind to both employers and individual applicants.